In the morning of the November 27th, 1947, the Eternal flame fascinated people of Sarajevo by its beauty. The flame it was carrying, and still carries today, is a reminder of the liberators of Sarajevo in the Second World War. People from Sarajevo, people who do not accept monuments easily, accepted this monument very quickly.
In that period, when there was no disco in the city and cafes on each step, the Eternal Fire became a gathering place for young people who called it a “burning tire”. This simple, yet very beautiful symbol of Sarajevo is work of Juraj Najhart. Located at the facade of the building that was originally Grand Hotel, and then the residence of Zemaljska banka, the Social Book Service, today it would be the seat of the Payment Bureau. In the heart of the Sarajevo Walking Zone, this monument connects the three streets: Mula Mustafe Bašeskije, Titova and Ferhadija. It consists of a plaque with the text which reads.
The courage and jointly spilled blood of fighters of the Bosnian Serb, Croat, Montenegrin and Serbian brigades of the famous Yugoslav army, joint efforts and victims of the Sarajevo patriots Serbs, Muslims and Croats, Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina was freed.