According to the orientation parameter, Tušnica is located in the southwestern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Spatially, it is located between the Livno and Duvno fields. Its vastness occupies the area of the municipality of Livno, but also Tomislavgrad. The highest peak is Viternik, with a height of 1697 m. The mountain is not large, but it is noticed and characteristic for that part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Tušnica is also known for its numerous deposits of brown coal, which stand out from the mine founded in 1888. That mine employed about 300 residents of the surrounding towns. Today, the mine is threatened with closure, and Vladimir Nazor wrote: “I peeked into the mine. Good coal… In this area, the country still offers us lignite, bitumen, sulfur, bauxite, and even iron ore… What all lies neglected and unused in the depths of our people! Just like the treasure in the Tušnica mine! ” The biggest rise of the mine reached in the sixties, when the number of employees exceeded 600 people. Also, the mine was noticed for the biggest accident that happened in 1955. The accident happened in the pit “Martinovac”, and six miners were died.
This mountain is special based on the legend from which its name originated. Namely, according to all sources, there were five brothers and two sisters, who were taken to the shores of the Adriatic, during one of the migrations. The brothers were called Klukas, Lobel, Muhlo, Kosjenc and Hrvat, and the sisters were called Tuga and Buga. One of the conspiracy theories says that Duvno and the mountain belonged to Tuga, after which the mountain was named Tušnica, while the other sister Buga belonged to the field on the southwest side of the mountain all the way to Livno.
Today, there are TV and radio transmitters on Tušnica, while during the last war in BiH they were completely destroyed. As the mountain, in addition to its beauty, also owned a mine, in ancient times a mining settlement was formed. It is called “Kolonija”, and it consisted of a wooden house and residential buildings, of which there were eight. In 1960, they installed the first TV set in the Livno field, and because of that it was necessary to build a pillar, which exceeds a height of 20 m.
Written by Emina Čamić
Translated by Alma Gadžo
According to the orientation parameter, Tušnica is located in the southwestern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Organisation and education in nature
Organisation and transport
Feel history and visit historical places
The best hotels and restaurants in BiH
Copyright Mapa kulture